It was originally called Sala delle Commedie (Room of Comedies) as it was used as a theatre until 1688, when it became the seat of the Municipal Library. The room is entirely covered with wood according to architect AdamoSacripante’s plans. He designed the imposing two-tier bookcase in walnut, provided with an access balcony and railings, and the fir-wood lacunar.
The Cardinal DecioAzzolino Junior (1623-1689) decided to turn the room into a library in order to house the book patrimony of the town, donated by noble people and to make it available to his fellows-citizens. At the beginning of the 18thcentury the library inherited another important bequest: the prestigious collection of RomoloSpezioli, who was born in Fermo and became the personal doctor of Queen Maria Cristina, when she moved to Rome, after abdicating the Sweden crown. The book patrimony left by RomoloSpezioli consists of about 12,500 books, dealing mainly with medicine, botanic, geometry, arithmetic, architecture, philosophy and theology. Anyway, it is only a part of the entire old collection of the Municipal Library, which counts among the ten biggest libraries in Italy, and is the biggest of the region Marche. It boasts about 300,000 documents, among them the old section presents: 127 illuminated codices, 11 choir books, 3,000 manuscripts, 681 incunabula, some of them dating back to 1470, and 15,000 books printed in the 16th century . Furthermore, you may admire an interesting graphic collection with 6,500 engravings and 4,500 drawings, among them also the works by Fortunato Duranti from Montefortino (1787-1863).
The Globe Room owes its name to the big globe designed by Abbot Silvestro Moroncelli from Fabriano in 1713. It has a wooden internal structure, with an iron axis, and an external facing covered by a particular type of paper (carta reale), coming from Fabriano (a town in the Marches, famous all over Italy and abroad for its paper-factory). Moroncelli wrote and drew by hand the globe which is 185 cm in diameter and 568 cm in circumference. In 1986 the restoration has revealed a detailed description of the geographical knowledge of that period and the rich decorations representing sea-monsters, mythological divinities and sailing vessels.